Sunday, 18 August 2013

Lush Face masks and facial cleansing routine



I've been a massive fan of lush products, their face masks in particular, from at least the tender age of 15 (fortunately, I've found better use for them other than smothering them all over my face to look funny.) I'm quite lucky in the sense that generally speaking I'm not really a 'spotty person'. Occasionally though, without any warning, a congregation of angry looking spots will appear. The paws on my nose and chin also get blocked up quite easily and I have to fight the temptation not to squeeze all the gross stuff out. As frustrating as spots, black heads, open paws etc are, it really is important to just leave them be. Squeezing spots only irritates and makes them worse. Plus they'll hang around longer if you do and it's not worth getting a scar when they'll be gone in a few days anyway.

The other day I popped into Lush not really looking for anything in particular as my skin was behaving itself. Lush is great for being able to 'try before you buy' as they have testers for all of their products. I currently had the brazened honey fresh detox face mask at home which brings tired and dull skin back to life if you've been over doing things. One of the assistants approached me and before I knew it, I was telling her about my skin and testing face masks. Here's where I sound like a hypocrite... After a little telling off after confessing that I do, very occasionally squeeze my paws she recommended the chocolate cupcake fresh face mask. This is suitable for younger skin and unlike my other one that brings back your glow, this one also absorbs grease and gives you a deep cleanse. I thought I'd give it a go and a 75g pot was £5.95. Now some of you who haven't used Lush products before may think that this is a bit on the steep side. This is where I tell you different... You do get between 3 and 4 masks out of a pot and if, like me you only use them once a week anyway, that's a month worth of masks. As I only ever use Lush face masks, I had to do a bit of research to get up to date on the prices of face masks on the market. With Boots Natural Collection one use face mask costing a £1 a go and Soap and Glory averaging around £8, I think the Lush face masks are well worth the money. The only downside is that Lush do recommend that you use them up within 3 weeks to get the best from the ingredients. Truth be told, I've kept them in the fridge for months before and they've carried on doing the trick. I recommend you buy one that really suits YOUR skin and you'll never go back.


Typically, I tend to use a face mask one a week and it's usually after I've had a busy week at uni/work and want to cleanse my face and feel fresh and clean again. This week I've put in a lot of hours at work and working in bakery around hot ovens and greasy food had, well left my skin looking a bit greasy itself. After getting out the shower, I thought I'd give my new face mask a whirl. Because the products don't contain any preservatives and contain natural ingredients, they do really need to be kept in the fridge to keep the ingredients fresh and active. As the name says, it is supposed to look and smell a little like a chocolate cupcake. However, I wasn't expecting it to smell as amazing as it did (yes I did think about tasting a little... that was before I saw the very 'un-cupcakey' ingredients used in it.) There's no elegant way to apply a face mask in my opinion. You just need to get your hands dirty and smoother it all over your face. Unlike other face masks that I've tested in the past, these don't sting your face when applying them.... I often find with facial products that they can initially leave your skin in some discomfort, especially drier, sensitive areas. It says to leave them on for 10 minutes but by the time I've remembered that I have still have it on, it's usually 20 minutes before I was remove it with luke warm water. As soon as I started removing the mask, I could see the difference immediately. My skin looked cleaner and brighter and under close inspection my clogged up paws were no more. I've woken up this morning to super soft skin ready for the week ahead.


If you're thinking of investing in a Lush face mask (s) for the first time or just want to try something different, pop into your nearest store where one of the lovely people at Lush will be able to advise you on what's best to buy to suit your skin.

Which Lush face masks/ products have you tried? 

As I said before, I treat my skin to a face mask roughly once a week. But what do I do to look after my skin on a day to day basis? It took me years to find out what worked for me. I tried everything from facial wipes (which are now banished) to deep cleansing scrubs to 'invigorating' daily washes before finding Simple. In fact, I'm really not sure you could call whatever I was doing before a cleansing routine at all. However, it is very important that you do have one that works for you. My skin can dry out quite easily if I'm using the wrong product and with Simple being 'experts in sensitive skin, I've been using their products for years now. I think a lot of people have jumped on the bandwagon and are doing the same. Not surprisingly, as they are so easy to get a long with and super cheap! Now, I use three of their products for my daily facial cleansing routine which I repeat twice a day. I do it once in the morning after I've washed my face and again in the evening after my shower. I start with Kind to Skin Refreshing facial wash gel (£3.25) which cleanses and revives my skin. I then move on to cleansing my skin with Kind to Skin Cleansing Lotion (£2.99) which cleanses drier skin, leaving it feeling smooth and soft. Finally, I finish using Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser (£3.79) on both my face and neck. The reason for paying particular attention to the neck is that it covers an array of muscles which are constantly in motion constantly being stretched as we move our heads around. The constant motion is the reason that we can end up with premature wrinkles! A lot of people tend to neglect their neck but if you don't look after it now, you're going to end up with the face of an angel and the neck of a turkey when you get older. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.



Apart from that I just use Dove soap when washing my face in the morning and when having a shower at night. Simples.


What products do you guys use in your facial cleansing routine? 

Rachel. 

4 comments:

  1. great post! I love lush face masks, I have followed your blog :)
    Shelley x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! What face masks do you use? :)

      Rachel x

      Delete
  2. Oh I've yet to try a Lush face mask and I think its about time I did. Great blog btw, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Get yourself to lush and find one that suits your skin requirements :) Thankyou!! x

      Rachel x

      Delete